Getting it right!
Summer is fast approaching and your bedroom is starting to get uncomfortable. You’ve seen lots of adverts with ‘great heat pump specials’ but there’s so many to choose from, how can you decide? This post will tell you what you need to consider before purchasing a heat pump to ensure you choose the right one and spend wisely!
If you’re looking to buy a heat pump to get your through this summer, here are the basics you need to consider;
- First make sure you get the right sized unit. If its too small for the room, it will struggle to cool/heat the room effectively. If it is too big it will produce too much heating/cooling which will go to waste. There are online calculators available where you can input your room size and it will tell you the heat pump size you require.
- Consider the condition of your home – a modern, well insulated home will retain heating/cooling much better than an older, poorly insulated home. If possible, consider adding insulation to your home as this can result in you needing a smaller sized heat pump.
- Choose an energy efficient unit. This may cost you more initially, but it will save you money over time. Look for the units Energy Star mark. The EECA has a list on their website – check it out here: https://www.energywise.govt.nz/tools/rightware/#!/products/Heat%20pumps%20&%20air%20conditioners
- Choose a reputable supplier that offers a good warranty for parts and labour. They should offer between 5-6 years warranty.
- Make sure the installer is suitably qualified and experienced. The service and installation you will receive will vary greatly between someone who is experienced and someone who is not. Remember the old saying “you get what you pay for…”. Research the company and read customer reviews.
- Once installed, get a demo on how to use the heat pump. Check out the different modes it can run in and how to set up the timer. This will allow you to use your unit efficiently.
Now that you know the main points to consider when purchasing a heat pump, you’re ready to go out and get one! If you’d like to keep up to date with industry news and specials, then please sign up to our email list!